Ingredient Investigator: What Is Garlic Good For?
Here we answer the question ‘what is garlic good for‘? In this overview we examine what garlic is good for by looking at its health boosting benefits. There has been much literature published and whole books devoted to the subject of what garlic is good for; the magnitude of health benefits and particular ailments it can improve. Here we give you a simple overview answering the question ‘what is garlic good for‘?
What Is Garlic Good For – An Overview
Promotes A Healthy Heart
Prevents Certain Cancers
Boosts Immune System
Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
Improves Respiratory Problems
What is garlic good for? Garlic is effective in boosting overall health. It’s benefits are tremendous. Studies have indicated that garlic is particularly good for:
1. Promoting A Healthy Heart
Studies have indicated that garlic is particularly useful in lowering blood pressure and lowering cholesterol and is also effective in relaxing the blood vessels which increases blood flow; ultimately reducing the risk of blood clots and preventing heart disease and strokes.
2. Preventing Certain Cancers
Studies have found garlic to be useful in reducing the risk of certain cancers; in particular esophageal, stomach, and colon cancer.
3. Boosting Immune System
Due its levels of B6, vitamin C, selenium and manganese garlic is also said to be good for boosting the immune system. Many people increase their intake of garlic as the cold and flu season approaches.
4. Regulating Blood Sugar Levels
Studies have also shown that garlic is good for regulating blood sugar levels and controlling blood cholesterol. This is particularly beneficial to those suffering from diabetes.
6. Improving Respiratory Problems
On account of its expectorant qualities garlic is believed to aid asthma, chronic bronchitis and other breathing complaints as well as lung disorders and can be used to treat upper respiratory infections.
7. Aiding Digestion
Studies have also shown that garlic is good for aiding digestion and digestive complaints; in particular bloating, stomach cramps and constipation.
What Is Garlic Good For – Further Benefits:
What is garlic good for? The Further benefits: Garlic is clearly an all-round health boosting ingredient good for a magnitude of complaints. Here are some further benefits of garlic:
- Allergies – Due to its antiviral properties garlic is said to help the body fight allergies
Throughout time garlic has been referred to as natures penicillin. It contains antibiotic, antiviral and anesthetic properties.
- Infections – Due to its antibiotic properties garlic is said to be good for helping the body fight infections.
- Coughs, colds and throat irritations – Garlic is known to be a great decongestant and expectorant and is useful in treating symptoms of colds. It help alleviates coughs, throat issues and tonsillitis. It also aids clearing of the sinuses.
- Tooth Ache – Due to its antiviral and anesthetic properties garlic is known to be great for tooth ache.
- Skin Disorders – Effective when applied topically, garlic can treat sprains, bruises, insect bites,warts and herpes. Is also effective in reducing the itching associated with such complaints.
- Recent studies have shown that when eating garlic in raw form certain enzymes can be destroyed in the stomach before the body can take advantage of their health boosting benefits. Many recommend that cooked, dried or pickled garlic are more effective in retaining health boosting properties.
- Another study has shown that to cook garlic as soon as it has been chopped or crushed can also destroy many of its health boosting properties. It is recommended that garlic be left for 15 minutes after chopping or crushing before adding to cooking.